Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: re:which artists are best

Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 08:01:22 PDT

In a message dated 8/4/04 10:12:21 AM, writes:

> Being able to identify elements and principles in
> artworks is, in my opinion, an ART skill.
> Being able to unpack the content of an artwork is, in
> my opinion, a LIFE skill.
Amanda: what a great comment! In my childhood art classes the E 'n P were
"taught" in isolation, apart from my own personal artmaking, which made it very
difficult for me to connect and effectively use what I had supposedly
learned. It felt a bit like piano lessons where all I did was play scales and did
not get to make much music. Continually referencing the elements and
principals in the context of personally chosen student work allows art teachers to use
truly "teachable moments"; celebrating meaning in all artwork, student or
master, is the best way in my opinion, to create a love of both looking and
kathy douglas