Social Comment - Political Concerns- Cartoonists

---------

From: Alisha Vincent (Alishav_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 06:34:41 PDT

Kathy,

I think this is a GREAT place to start in the classroom. A truly
non-partisan slant. Looking at politics through humor.

The event I posted a link to yesterday... we will have a political
cartoonist from the Baltimore Sun on hand who will teach the audience how to
draw George Bush and John Kerry in several quick strokes. It should be
interesting seeing 700 people trying to draw the two top candidates
together.

As I spoke with him on the phone the other day it really *clicked* for me
that students (of any age) connect with cartoons. And they know of Gary
Trudeau's - if not just simply his style of cartoon. This is something that
even has a cross-collaborative effect with a history class. A history
instructor could pair with an art instructor to pull in older political
cartoons... let the students try to determine if the cartoonist supported
Abe Lincoln or if he was making fun of it.

FYI: Our cartoonist is Kevin 'KAL' Kallaugher of the Baltimore Sun. He
does have a book out... and of course you can find his work online.

-Alisha-

> Subject: RE: Social Comment - Political Concerns- Cartoonists
> From: "mary maloney johnson" <maloneymk@earthlink.net>
> Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:03:27 -0400
>

> Judy and all,
>
> I was just thinking- How about the cartoonists, like Gary Trudeau of
> Doonesbury and Walt Kelly of Pogo fame (to those of us old enough to know
> and love him- he was a big influence on the artistic style of the man who
> did Calvin and Hobbes). They're both quite loaded with political and social
> commentary.
>
> Kathy

---