RE: Political Issues in Art - lesson to update

---------

From: mary maloney johnson (maloneymk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 01 2004 - 13:31:32 PDT

Everything seems to be easy to find with a Google search- Here are a few
suggestions (distinctly lacking in female artists, unfortunately)

Gericault, Theodore
The Raft of the Medusa
1819
Oil on canvas
491 x 716 cm
Musee du Louvre, Paris

The Death of Marat,
Jaques Louis David:
http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/his/CoreArt/art/neocl_dav_marat.html

The 3rd of May, 1808
Francisco Goya
1814
Museo del Prado, Madrid, Spain

The Futurists:

Marinetti, the poet and ideological father of the Futerists wrote
recomending that poetry should henceforth sing only of "the mulitcolored
and polyphonic surf of revolution in modern capitols: the nocturnal
vibrations of arsenals and docks beneath their glaring electric moons...:
factories hanging from the clouds by their threads of smoke."

The most famous of the artists were Umberto Boccioni, Carlo Carra, Luigi
Russolo, Giacomo Balla, Gino Severini. Lots of their work is available
on-line.

Kathy

What
> specific images would you use?
> I used a number of German Expressionists printmakers in my high school
unit
> (found in books).
>
> These can be American Artists - or from any country for a more global
view.

> Judy Decker - Ohio
> Incredible Art Department (IAD)
> http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/