Re: the political debate and art

---------

From: Alisha Vincent (Alishav_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 01 2004 - 13:27:33 PDT

> Subject: the political debate and art
> From: Nnaell@aol.com
> Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:28:40 EDT
>
> No matter your political bent....educate yourselves, vote and encourage
> others to vote...especially you high school teachers who have an opportunity
> to educate the first wave.

I have actually enjoyed the incredible level of professionalism on this
listserve... Maybe it is because we don't engage in political discussions
too often? Or perhaps it's just the community of people gathered together
here? No matter what it is... I do agree with the statement above by
Nnaell@aol.com. It's not a question of who we all are voting for... but
pressing the need for us all to follow through and go out on November 2nd.

Thanks for bringing that up.

Now... those of you in the Philly area next Saturday might be interested in
an event we are hosting at the PA Convention Center. I'll paste a link
below for those who wish to read more about it. But, the topic WILL center
on educating voters interested in learning more about where the candidates
stand on the arts and on small business support. We will have speakers from
Americans for the Arts and two panels that will address questions. One of
the primary topics we will discuss is federal art funding and, connected
with this, education funding and priority placement on art as a crucial
subject in schools. Learn more about this free discussion at:
http://www.americancraft.com/artist/Market_Insider/Selection2004.html

Some of you may or may not be familiar with this link, which I ran across
while researching this topic to create questions for our panelists. It's a
study on how the No Child Left Behind Act relates to core subject matter
like the arts. I certainly don't want to start a debate on the Act, but it
is an interesting document that I had never seen before:
http://www.aep-arts.org/PDF%20Files/NoSubjectLeftBehind.pdf

Perhaps I'll see some of you next Saturday!

Best wishes,
-Alisha-

---