Tasmania's Ten Days on the Island Online Festival (Island to Island Collaboration)

---------

From: berquist (berquist_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 01 2004 - 07:07:46 PDT

This message was posted to the WWWEDU list:

Dear colleagues,

I am seeking teachers/students whose schools are on islands anywhere in the
world - Manhattan Island, Hawaii, Vancouver Is., any of the island
countries - NZ, Hong Kong, Japan, UK, Iceland, Jamaica, Mauritius ... any
island ... does not necessarily have to be any political type.

My state in Australia, Tasmania, is an island and we have an arts festival
every two years, "Ten Days on the Island."

As part of the next one (April 1-10, 2005), there is to be an online
education event called Webbing the Island.

There will be a portal website set up where schools on islands showcase
their learning - might be under one of a number of themes - food, lifestyle,
history, issues, art - whatever is of interest to that school - then I
gather there'll be a discussion forum for kids from other countries to
comment on the work displayed, ask questions and generally engage during the
period of the arts festival.

This will be promoted along with all the live events at the Arts Festival
and it will be a reach-out possibility for schools to access a wider
audience. Our State government is using the Arts Festival to express its
positive support for the technological developments taking place in our
classrooms, so the powers that be want Education shown off a bit to the
world. If our state picks up skills and enthusiasm from interstate or
overseas schools, so much the better.

My own school's themes of interest are Sustainable Environments, Water,
Career for Women in Science, Reading and the Arts (esp. Singing) but there
will be lots of schools involved.

I am going to a committee meeting for a reference group for this thing and
I'm wondering whether there's anyone out there who might like to collaborate
with us, either by telling me their URL at this stage, so maybe we could
start checking out the kind of activities on your site which might have
interactive or inspirational possibilities, or else just by telling me that
your class might be generally interested in a more repsonsive way, to wait
until the event and then see what's going on and if you like it, join in.

If anyone is interested, please write to me off-line. I'd really appreciate
it.

Mrs Roslyn Teirney
Ogilvie High School
NEW TOWN Tasmania 7008