Philosophies

---------

From: Pam (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 19:42:13 PDT

Something that I mentioned to my pre-service students during last week's
introductory classes is that the visual arts do not have a formula for
teaching them. Each art educator must find his or her own way based upon
the knowledge that is gathered from experience. It is to this end that we
as art educators develop varying and sometimes conflicting philosophies and
methods. In my estimation, this is healthy for our field.

So while I do not agree with the approach of "art in the style of," I would
hope that students in my art education program would investigate this method
and decide for themselves. My objective is to provide a substantial
foundation for pre-service students that in turn enables them to make these
types of decisions based upon supported evidence.

My father-in-law, who was the dean of petroleum engineering at a major
university for many years, had a good philosophy about the students who
graduated from his program. He said, "Every tub must sit on its own
bottom." Indeed, after the students in my art education program finish
their time with me, it is my hope that they indeed sit on their own bottoms
and are able to make choices that right for them and their own teaching
situation in addition to moving our field forward in a positive and
significant direction.

Pam

---