Re: reduction print help needed

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 19:30:06 PDT

Hi Dawn
I've always used linoleum. If you iron the linoleum (with paper between iron
and plate) it is easier to cut.
Then when done printing first color - wash plate with hot water - this made
the plate very easy to cut for the next color.
Cut out what ever spaces you want to be white first. With my middle school
kids, I had them cut out the outlines too on first cutting. Print a light
color (like yellow ---or add white into your other colors)
Print your first color. Wash plate - carve more away . We lined up the top
two corners then lowered the plate to the paper - carefully turned the plate
and paper over and rubbed with the back of spoon to print. We got good
registration. Cut more away - then print next color. Some of the nicest
prints my 8th graders did were faces that we did the fisr year I did
reduction linocuts with them. With some of those we did cut away the
background and just register the face and shoulders for the final color. So
you can cut away parts of the plate - just leave enough to line up. Have you
thought about what kind of theme you want to use? Jeannie Sandoval did some
great self portraits starting with a digital image.

I was curious to see if I could find a lesson - this one isn't a lot fof
help - but might give you some words:
http://westy.jtwn.k12.pa.us/users/mcb/WEB_PAGES/lessons/printmaking_8.html
I only have one online but do go into great details on it.
Ken might have some pointers in his curriculum:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/printmaking.htm

I hate to say this...but it might be a good idea to run through one first
before you try it with the kids. It did help my kids understand the process
better because I had several different ones to show them. I had several step
but step expamples so the could see the progression. I always did a new one
each time my kids did reduction printing- agan to help them see the process.
Maybe if you just worked through a 6" square sample. Then when you do it
with kids- do a full size one. Make extras in your own edition so you can
leave one with just the first color...then leave one that has first and
second color - then have one with three colors (and however many more
colors you are planning - but three colors is enough for middle school
usually - I did have some do four).

When I was in college, we used pins in opposite corners to register. I just
found we never had to do it that way. They found lining up the corners easy
enough.