Meet the Ainu People of Japan

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 17:19:46 PDT

Dan Cherney introduced me to the Ainu Native People of Japan.

The Ainu are Native Peoples of Japan
Ainu means "human" - Ainu means "us".
Nice Interactive from Smithsonian
Ainu: Spirit of a Northern People
http://www.mnh.si.edu/arctic/features/ainu/

Some images in art:
http://www.nucleng.kyoto-u.ac.jp/people/itoh/group.html

Origins of the Ainu:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/hokkaido/ainu.html

Some information/links:
http://www.ankn.uaf.edu/ainu.html

Ainu Museum:
http://www.ainu-museum.or.jp/english/english.html

Ainu English Word list:
http://www.coastalfog.net/languages/ainuenglish.html

There are more - but this should give you enough.

Now my message to Pam's students on the Getty list. Are you interested in
any cultures of the world? Here is your chance to start collecting resources
for your files.
Post an interest - change the subject head to the culture you are looking
for. If I have resources on the site - I will post. If I have resources
already saved in folders, I will forward those off list.

Dan, if you happen to read, this gave me an opportunity to show how
Incredible Art Department can work for some pre-service art teachers on
Getty list.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department