Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: Clay - Air Dry or Kiln? question for Grace

From: Grace Hall (Grace_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 16:23:05 PDT

Hi Dale,
Low fire clay requires a kiln, which I am fortunate to have in my
classroom. I have however also tried oven fired clay, using my home
oven. As long as you make small pieces with no appendiges, they do ok.
But I didn't have 650 pieces to fire either. Sorry I don't remember
which product I used, but it was white.

With 650 students, you're going to have to teach this in shifts. You
can't have room for 650 clay pieces to sit around and dry??? If you do,
then you must teach in Heaven...because I do believe in such places.
But planning where student works will sit undisturbed for a week or so
is important to the success of the project. With oven dry clay I do not
recommend attaching pieces together, students will have more success if
there is nothing to fall off. I found that pinch pots were good forms
for students to create, and we'd connect it to Native American pottery
artifacts that we have at our local museum.

If you ever buy a kiln, get a big one to fire as much as possible at
once. There are plenty of good ones to choose from. Paragon, and Skutt
are well known products.

Hope I havn't confused you more than helped.