To Pam S.'s students

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 16:03:17 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
What is so wonderful about this list is the many sundry and various opinions
we share on this listserv. Sometimes we become so completely involved in how
we feel about things, we sometimes forget that there are others who feel
differently and have new or alternative perspectives on the same subject.
Pardon some of my listserv friends who tend to get a little carried away
thinking their ideals are superior and others lacking. I'm sure it's
unintended and it is because they are so full of passion about art education
and yet are still my good friends. We argue but we share the passion.

Having said that, I am about to disagree with some members who discount
using the "in the style of" approach to teaching. There is nothing wrong
with it. It can be incorporated with other techniques at the same time to
make a broader base for building understanding. How much easier it is to
really understand how Seurat's technique of pointillism is accomplished when
you are able to actually try out the technique yourself. The classroom
offers a comfortable place to try. After painting with dots and thinking
about color combinations, rule-of-3rd's, clustering, shadows, unifying, one
can begin to realize just a smidgeon of what the artist had to cope with and
overcome to create his technique. What is that educational philosophy
of...looking at it (%), talking about it (%) being a lesser percentage of
learning than actually DOING it?

My point is...much is to be gained by "in the style of" to truly understand
the method of the artist's technique and becoming skillful in learning
different techniques and in the meantime enhancing one's own emerging
"style". Learning other styles...to this day...has enhanced my artwork. I
learn by trying new techniques and styles constantly.

How boring I think art would be if it was all about looking and talking.
Just give me the opportunity to try out the same techniques in my OWN work
and I'd be happy as a clam...and learn something MORE in the process. Stay
open to all avenues of thinking and learning. Don't "buttonhole" yourself
into one attitude. Toodles...Bunki

---