Huichol art and use of beeswax

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 15:51:50 PDT

Dear Getty ArtsEdNetters.

Dan Cherney, an ArtsEducators member is very knowledgeable on beeswax and
melting points, etc. I did save his post for anyone interested in this
connection to art and science.
I thought he might have knowledge about the Huichol use of beeswax and their
yarn painting and beadwork. Here are is what he sent to me to add to the
links I shared. I asked him if he knew how the Huichol used beeswax. Dan
uses it in his work - Renaissance style pastels with beeswax base.

Do you know anything about Huichol art?
[Daniel Cherney] I know some things
about this art form, but have never personally done it. The following web
site has some tremendous images of many types of the art.
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/huichol/huicholart.html

and http://huichol-art.com/anouncement.htm

According to the following site, the original method used is a combination
of resin tree sap and beeswax. The purpose of the tree resin is to extend
the glue effects of the wax. The only reasonable facsimile materials that
could be safely used in a classroom (without fear of fire and explosions -
as tree sap can do) would be a mixture of gum triganth or possibly
dehydrated egg yolk or wallpaper paste.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department