RE: Clay - Air Dry or Kiln? question for Grace

---------

From: Dale S (golddust_55_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 15:11:36 PDT

Grace,

I am also looking for an alternative to kiln fired clay. We are temporarily
in a new building without a kiln while our school is being renovated. (Next
year I will have a kiln and that will be another learning process.) This is
my first year teaching and I am scrambling to decide what to use so I can do
lesson plans and budget for it. I've got about 650 students from K-8.

You said
>Dick Blick offers great clay for low fire, and they
>make it fairly simple to choose. The clay I've ordered from them comes
>in blocks of 25lbs. I've had great success with it.

I looked in Dick Blick and found these two products listed as low fire clay.
Are these the clays you are referring to?
Della Robbia Oven Bake Clay
Laguna Ovencraft Clay

If so, here are a couple of questions I had. I was wondering what kind of
projects you did with these and how much clay you planned per student?

Also what oven did you use? Home or school? Do they emit fumes while baking?

If not, do you know specifically which product you used? There are so many
products listed there!

Dale S.