Finding meaning in art

---------

From: Pam (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 10:26:19 PDT

Patty & Judy & Others:

Thanks for your suggestions to my pre-service students about the Pollock
lesson and the reminder to keep meaning central to art explorations. I
appreciate your voices to my pre-service students. Hearing the same words
from different voices often helps with understanding.

In our first classes this past week, students were ask to ponder "why teach
art?" During this discussion we talked about finding meaning and keeping
meaning central to making art. It has been my experience that it takes a
bit of time to truly understand how to get at what an artist meant or
intended; was trying to express and why. Breaking away from the model of
teaching art "in the style of" can be a formidable task, but one these
pre-service students are capable of overcoming.

One idea we are considering is Boyer's Human Commonalities as a way to find
meaning in art. This is a method that Nancy Walkup and I used when we were
working with the North Texas Institute for Educators on the Visual Arts.
It's a wonderful segue into discovering the universal language of visual
imagery.

Pam

---