Re: Pollack for bad boys (to the student teachers)

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 12:14:05 PDT

Pollack for bad boys (to the student teachers)I found the movie very insightful as to Pollack's intentions - unfortunately it is also one that I could never show my students.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids
  I am writing today especially to the student teacher that suggested Pollack. My question is
  "what is the objective?"
  I find certain artists so "special" in their achievement that what they did is very difficult to convey or duplicate in a lesson. Often it doesn't even become mimicry. Pollack came from a place, found his own place and was onto another place before he killed himself. To me, the evolution of Pollack is what he is about. No appreciation of Pollack can be achieved without seeing an actual painting. The intricacies of the webbing of and depth of color never comes across in a reproduction. And I think what Judy pointed out about what influenced him is very important.

---