Re: Is Fine Arts or Visual Arts or Art?

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 11:21:09 PDT

Well, it seems like every time I do it it's different. This time I'm passing out little palettes and having them finish the sentence Art Is... just to get them thinking. No prompts. Just their thoughts. (I'm posting these in the hallway under and enormous sign that says What is Art? for curriculum night).They will then share their thoughts with their table and as a table come up with a definition of art. These will then be shared with the class an the class will combine them into one definition to be posted in the room.
I then plan on asking

   what makes something a work of art?
   Why is it created?This leads to the 4 aesthetic viewpoints of art - imitation, expression, functional, formal order
   What is subject matter? Leads to General Style Catergories - Realism, Expressionism, Abstraction, Fantasy

That's the general gist of it. I'm then going to have my 8th graders create a poster of Rules for Artists. All of this has been posted on the list, but not together. I just combined it.

In the past, I've had kids go through their day writing down things that were created by artists. Invariably, they list paintings, etc. But then we discuss "Well, who designed the chair you are sitting in?" and then they do the experiment again and had so many things they quit writing. It's kinda fun.

Jancy
JKGIBB1@aol.com wrote:
Jancy--

What is the activity you do where students arrive at their own definition of
art? I would like to hear more about it.

Irene