Re: Is Fine Arts or Visual Arts or Art?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 07:33:35 PDT

Whenever I enroll in classes relating to the arts they are always listed
under "Fine Arts", regardless of whether it is drama, music, band, or visual
arts. The courses are listed FA in the brochures. All of those items below
fall under this category, whichever medium you are using. Sounds to me like
the teacher you replaced taught drawing and painting, and because that was
the way it had always been done that's what they expected. Is it just me, or
are the elite artists in our society those who paint and draw, and all other
artists are considered slightly inferior to these mediums? :-)
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> Here's my question for the list: What is the art program at your school
> called or listed as?
>
> This is my first year teaching fine arts and when I explained to my
students
> that they would be learning drawing, painting, ceramics, printmaking,
> sculpture, and collage they told me that it wasn't fine arts. When I
asked
> them to define Fine Arts to me they said it was just drawing and painting.
> The other stuff was Art. I did my best to explain briefly what art was
and
> then spent the whole day wondering if my program should be renamed to
Visual
> Arts or Art and not Fine Arts. I looked up the national standards for
Fine
> Arts and was surprised to find out that it consists of Dance, Music,
> Theartre and Visual Arts. So what is it that we teach?
>

> Mahalo,
> Cathy
> Honolulu, HI

---