Re: More Hands!!!!!. . apron and palette project...

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 06:48:03 PDT

I had a question though Melissa...

I get this question sometimes from artists painting on various grounds
between oils and acrylics, and thru my studies technically the most
important reason for a ground with oils is that oil has an acidic nature
that would eat thru the support if such a barrier were not between the oils
and support. Acrylics have no such acidic tendencies and I've read a number
of times that a gesso or ground is apply more out of tradition or to create
a texture to paint upon.

I'm wondering if these aprons are not now kinda stiff from the gessoing and
acrylics; and if acrylics by themselves would not be enough. We did a bunch
of t-shirts for kids by hand of caricatures of the boys basketball team once
going to sectionals...directly on the shirt. Survive washing...and so on.
I've always painted acrylics directly...so, what are your thoughts on that?

Larry Seiler
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

---