Re: Is Fine Arts or Visual Arts or Art?

---------

From: j&f grochowski (jgrochowski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 06:34:03 PDT

Cathy,
    I will be interested to read the responses to this one!
    I may have shared in the past that at one point I worked with another HS
Art teacher who suggested we each take an area to cover-2D or 3D. Her
'agenda' was that she really looked her nose down on the 3D, and wanted to
focus just on Drawing and Painting (at the time, I didn't realize this, and
since I loved Ceramics & Sculpture, I was happy to agree to a plan which
seemed to simplify our lives from a prepping standpoint).
    I soon came to realize this snobbery as her attitudes towards my
students 'just working on their little ceramics pieces', while hers, who
were doing 'serious work' began to unfold. The whole 'duh,...they work with
their hands' ; also, since she wanted total silence while her students drew,
(and the department is an open space) my students pounding metal for Jewelry
making was really upsetting to her!
    On the face of it, these terms cover and overlap. I think whatever term
you can defend you should use. It seems that some believe that Drawing,
Painting, and Sculpture are the traditional and only Fine Arts. If these
underlying attitudes are truly not part of the landscape, it's not gonna
matter what you call it, IMHO. If they are,....then the terms become a
different matter.
    I guess this struck a nerve, eh? My sincere belief is that problem
solving occurs in every media and approach!
Jude

> Here's my question for the list: What is the art program at your school
> called or listed as?
 I looked up the national standards for Fine
> Arts and was surprised to find out that it consists of Dance, Music,
> Theartre and Visual Arts. So what is it that we teach?

---