Is Fine Arts or Visual Arts or Art?

---------

From: Cathy K (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 06:01:28 PDT

Here's my question for the list: What is the art program at your school
called or listed as?

This is my first year teaching fine arts and when I explained to my students
that they would be learning drawing, painting, ceramics, printmaking,
sculpture, and collage they told me that it wasn't fine arts. When I asked
them to define Fine Arts to me they said it was just drawing and painting.
The other stuff was Art. I did my best to explain briefly what art was and
then spent the whole day wondering if my program should be renamed to Visual
Arts or Art and not Fine Arts. I looked up the national standards for Fine
Arts and was surprised to find out that it consists of Dance, Music,
Theartre and Visual Arts. So what is it that we teach?

Mahalo,
Cathy
Honolulu, HI

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental