Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Huichol beadwork - beeswax (Becky)

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2003 - 20:22:55 PDT

Hi Becky -I don't know if your answer is in any of these links:

In looking over these - I have mainly yarn painting since that is what I am
more interested in.
Huichol Art Center
Beadwork, yarn painting, mask

Yarn Painting -over fifty images of yarn paintings (some pretty small) -
from Cal State Bernardino
has explanation for each work. Great exhibit.
Same works - presented in frames

Huichol Art and symbolism:
Yarn Painting images of a vanishing culture:
More links to people and culture:

Huichol Yarn painting - commercial site - but has quality images and
historical background

Bead Museum - Huichol Web of Life: Creation and Prayer: Unit plan

Huichol Culture - two very nice images:

Brief outline:

Commercail site - has lots of examples of Huichol art - and background

Huichol Art - has some background informatin and many images of yarn

Some information - Huichol Indians and Shamanism
More on Huichol beliefs:

Information on the Huichol - with photographs of the people.

Map showing location of Huichol:

Lots of links - I didn't check all of these:

From Crai Roland:

Art Junction at:

A brief description:

Communication and Images of the Body in Huichol Photographs
by Sarah Corona (March 2003)

In remote villages high in the mountains of central Mexico, many
Huichol people maintain very traditional lifestyles, far removed from
the media barrage familiar in Western urban areas. What happens when
children in such a place are given cameras to record their