Huichol beadwork - beeswax (Becky)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2003 - 20:22:55 PDT

Hi Becky -I don't know if your answer is in any of these links:

In looking over these - I have mainly yarn painting since that is what I am
more interested in.
Huichol Art Center
http://huichol-art.com/
http://huichol-art.com/annex/artist.htm
Beadwork, yarn painting, mask

Yarn Painting -over fifty images of yarn paintings (some pretty small) -
from Cal State Bernardino
http://www.math.csusb.edu/faculty/jstein/huichol/1.html
has explanation for each work. Great exhibit.
Same works - presented in frames
http://www.math.csusb.edu/faculty/jstein/newhuichol/art1.html

Huichol Art and symbolism:
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/huichol/abt_huit.htm
Yarn Painting images of a vanishing culture:
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/huichol/huicholart.html
More links to people and culture:
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/huichol/huicholindex.html

Huichol Yarn painting - commercial site - but has quality images and
historical background
http://huicholart.homestead.com/

Bead Museum - Huichol Web of Life: Creation and Prayer:
http://www.thebeadmuseum.com/Huichol/huichol1.htm Unit plan

Huichol Culture - two very nice images:
http://www.spring.net/wmmeyers/huichol.html

Brief outline:
http://daphne.palomar.edu/ddozier/course_notes/Mexico/huichol.htm

Commercail site - has lots of examples of Huichol art - and background
information
http://www.tribesgallery.com/huichol.html

Huichol Art - has some background informatin and many images of yarn
paintings:
http://www.latinamericanfolkart.com/

Some information - Huichol Indians and Shamanism
http://www.shamanism.com/huichol.html
More on Huichol beliefs:
http://www.theoctobergallery.com/huichol-brochure.htm

Information on the Huichol - with photographs of the people.
http://www.peyotepeople.com/index.htm

Map showing location of Huichol:
http://www.union.edu/PUBLIC/ANTDEPT/43f02/huicholmap.htm

Lots of links - I didn't check all of these:
http://indian-cultures.com/Cultures/huichol.html

From Crai Roland:

Art Junction at:

http://www.artjunction.org/articles/corona1.html

A brief description:

Communication and Images of the Body in Huichol Photographs
by Sarah Corona (March 2003)

In remote villages high in the mountains of central Mexico, many
Huichol people maintain very traditional lifestyles, far removed from
the media barrage familiar in Western urban areas. What happens when
children in such a place are given cameras to record their
communities?