weaving on a cup- cup shaped basket

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2003 - 12:38:47 PDT

I'm thinking of doing a simple weaving project using plastic solo cups.
(with third graders) You cut an odd number of slits from the top to
bottom all around the cup then use yarn to weave around and around,
covering the cup inside and out. The shape turns out the same as the
cup. Color strip patterns can be created. Have you ever tried this?

And I need some kind of art history connection to give this activity
some meaning. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Susan

susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu