Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Clay - Air Dry or Kiln?

From: Ricardo Ramirez (rramirez2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2003 - 08:29:27 PDT

In the new Sax Catalog starting on page 400-09 are various kinds of
self-drying clay. I ordered some self-hardening clay on the pg 18. I
have heard it works great!

>>> 8/30/03 12:40:43 AM >>>
Aloha All,
I'm in the process of putting together my Purchase Order for my art
and I'm trying to decide what type of clay to purchase. I've
researched my
area to find a public kiln to fire the students pieces and there is a
reasonable (.60 a piece) ceramic hobbyist store willing to help me out.
However the clay and glazes are expensive so maybe this might not be
best way to go for my first year of teaching art. One of the other
at my school suggested Air Dry Clay which I've never worked with so I
have any experience to go on and would greatly appreciate any advice or

suggestions as to what type of clay to use with my students. I teach
5th -
8th and would like to introduce some sort of clay project to them as
well as
a bunch of other art projects... but I'll save my question for those

Help protect your PC: Get a free online virus scan at