Complementary "Starry Night" Update

---------

From: Melissa Speelman (lucylomax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2003 - 06:36:34 PDT

Well, we completed our "Starry Night" in complements in time for Open House.
Students began work the second day of school. I split the painting into 30
squares and each student was responsible for translating the brushstrokes in
their square into complements. We began with a review of complements. What
worked out nicely with this assignment was that not all colors were direct
complements. In other words students had to deal with a variety of
Intermediate colors as well BROWN which brought me to the list for help. We
had a great discussion about the complement of brown. It was nice to have
so much input from the list. We discussed all of your ideas and finally
decided to go with blue + white (which means our brown mixture would be
orange + black to desaturate).

My students took a lot of pride in the final work (which only took 2 days to
create). The parents loved it. I feel it was a great review and a nice way
to get students back it the Art groove. We tried to see the afterimage, but
weren't too successful. Someone had asked me to e-mail an image of the
final product and I have lost her e-mail. I have the images ready to go if
anyone wants to take a look.

Thanks again for ALL your help! This list is SO wonderful!

Melissa Speelman
lucylomax@cinci.rr.com
Sycamore Jr. High
Cincinnati, Ohio