Re: Need Ideas for senior guys...

---------

From: kcaraway (kcaraway_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 23:11:07 PDT

Never underestimate the attraction of embroidery with boys. I had a group of
9th graders, most on the football team. These were rough-housy boys that
didn't like the projects we were doing. After quizzing them, one boy said
he'd always wanted to do something he'd seen done, but didn't know what it
was called. Turns out he was describing counted cross stitch. The others
said that sounded fun to them. I went to the store that very night, got them
their embroidery floss and fabric and some embroidery hoops, and taught them
how to do it. They had to make up their own designs, and they were rather
simple, but he and the other boys were more into that project than any
others. Just had to mention this--it still cracks me up when I think about
it.

And this weekend my 14-year-old son asked me to teach him how to embroider.
I don't think he's ever seen me embroider before, it's just something that
interests him.
Ha!

That Arthouse idea sounds neat. I'll have to look that up. What about
Artcar?
---Karla Caraway

---