Need Ideas for senior guys...

---------

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 19:27:44 PDT

HELP!
I need some ideas for my "boys class", of which the majority of them are
seniors (already with senioritis) and are very difficult to motivate.

They are now finishing up a lesson on the Zodiac...for which they designed
their own symbol and are doing a poster...12x18" using colored pencils.
They got excited about this lesson...but it's the ONLY thing they've gotten
excited about so far.

I like Ken's suggestion of hanging some jeans up and letting them draw them.
Since the guys at our school are really into painting their own jeans...I
thought I'd let them add whatever designs they want to the "jeans painting".

They're also into music and tatoos...so...I'll have them design a CD music
cover for their favorite group or their own group...many have their own
small music groups.

And another thing I thought would be good would be to have them draw their
hands and arms and design tatoos and turn it into a painting.

I'm racking my brain to keep this group under control by motivating them to
do their work. This is a group of Art III and Art IV male students.

Please help me come up with some other ideas along these lines.
It's going to be a l-o-n-g semester. They've done woodcuts...and this worked
OK...but this group is destructive and at the same time too playful. It's
hard to keep them in their seats. They broke up about 50 of my new
Prismacolor colored pencils and I could find out who did it. Now they can
only use a few boxes of 12 Colorific pencils that I bought for $.58 a box at
Walmart. No more Prismacolor for them. I believe that everyone of them is
ADHD...hmmmm, is this really any different than BEH????.....(smile)
Carolyn

---