Conan2 last word for TODAY

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 15:22:59 PDT

(Patrick - this will help you get to know me a little more, too - I hope you
are reading these in the right order)

Dear Friends in Art Education,

Well... I have phoned NBC and sent email to Patrick. I am sure he will find
a way to come to some kind of agreement now that we all will think is fair.
Conan2 is in their possession:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/conan.htm
All of you educators have come to know me over the years and know how I feel
when kindness, generosity and hard work is abused and used.
You also know how I feel about honesty, respect and trust. I hold no hard
feelings against the Today Show for this - as that is a show I do watch
every morning.
I don't know who at NBC is responsible for the way they thought an art
teacher/our profession should be treated and at this point I don't care to
know. Michael Gerrish would be proud of me right now... I am looking over my
Survival Kit right now
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/survival.htm and still have no
regrets - it was fun story. I am also glad we have these expectations for
behavior as well: http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/rules.htm
(although Mr. Decker did revise them slightly after these were posted).

Some day we will have a society that respects what we do....Let's start with
the children in our classrooms. I took my permission to use Conan2 away from
them out of respect for what you do... and because I greatly value my time
as a teacher. I generally don't do art for sale. I look daily for ways I can
continue teaching. My masters degree was in teaching and what they found on
the web is a result of my research project and countless long hours of
study - way too many hours to even tally up.

They took advantage of the wrong teacher this time....they don't need to
know the rest of the story.

Thank you to everyone who has sent kind words about my sculpture to the list
and off list. I wasn't trying to make him "perfect" -- I was just trying to
get him done in a reasonable amount of time to keep my own "expenses" down
(This was a "just do it" sculpture). If it were my choice of medium he would
have looked considerably different. For now we judge him on the aesthetic
view of Art as Functional.... I'll give you the final answer on whether or
not it meets that goal.

Have a wonderful Weekend everyone! Keep up the good job you are
doing.....Someday things will change.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/

P.S. For Michael Gerrish if you are reading....this time there really are
three stories. I have two stories on my computer. The ones I sent and the
ones from them. Somewhere, I am sure there is THE truth. But 2 sides to
every story works just fine for me this time. Obviously, I ignored my pencil
grip - I don't use them anyways. Hope your days are sunny!

P.P. S. I do hate it sometimes though when I am right... I had a hunch all
along how this was going to play out...

---