Philip Yenawine Speaking in Baltimore, MD

---------

From: Emily Onstott (eonstott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 06:54:24 PDT

The Walters Art Museum presents:

2nd Annual Renee May Lecture

Art and Learning with Philip Yenawine, Co-Founder of Visual Understanding in Education (VUE) and former Director of Education, Museum of Modern Art, New York

Thursday, September 11, 7:00 p.m. - Free, Pre-registration Required

On the second anniversary of the tragic attacks on the United States, the Walters joins hundreds of museums across the country in opening our doors free of charge on this day of rememberance. The 2nd Annual Renee May Lecture honors the Walters Art Museum docent who was killed serving as a flight attendant on American Airlines Flight #77 when it was crashed into the Pentagon. The 2003 speaker is Philip Yenawine, co-founder of Visual Understanding in Education (VUE), a nonprofit educational research organization that develops and studies ways of teaching visual literacy and of using art to teach thinking and communication skills.

Art and learning have had an essential connection as long as humans have been concerned about either. Although much of the attention given to art today focuses on its aesthetic merits, visual art is still our most powerful teacher. This talk will take a glance backwards at art's traditional functions, but focus on the ways encounters with art exercise our minds, hearts, and spirits.

For more information or to register, call 410-547-9000, ext. 327 or email eblumenthal@thewalters.org.

The Walters Art Museum
600 North Charles Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201-5815