RE: Hands- elementary idea

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 13:12:21 PDT

O.K., this is way below 8th grade level, but may help the lower elementary
teachers. I do a project inspired by Picasso"s "Aux Main Fleurs" ( hands
holding flowers)with my kindergarten classes for Mother's Day. They use their
thumbs dipped in orange tempera for the centers of the flowers, fingerprints
of different colors form the petals around each center. We then draw on the
stems & leaves using different greens. They trace a hand on to a folded piece
of construction paper and cut out to get their hands. I give several shades of
salmon, tan, etc. for them to choose from. It is funny, because they do not
discriminate between the colors at this age. We finish it off with a little
tag tucked "into" the flowers that says "Happy Mother's Day! Love,____".
They really enjoy this project & it only takes 2 class periods to finish.

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

>===== Original Message From O8Neil@aol.com =====
>Dear Friends, I am thinking of doing a thematic year long curriculum with my
8th grade. We are going to use "hands". I have thought of plaster, prints,
books.etc but would love to have the input from anyone not too busy to give it
some thought or if anyone has done hands. Carolyn and Bunki I have your
cds...love them and have done the ribbon hands and will include them. thanks
for all the help -Carol

>---

---