RE: Hands

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 09:59:35 PDT

Last year I had my 5th grade students do a hand 'self-portrait' - just their hand and some object which tells about them (soccer ball, book, tennis racquet, etc.) These were 81/2" x 12",in oil pastel. The next activitiy was blind contour of their hand, posed in sign language, of one of their initials. They drew with pens. We talked about Calder, then they created a wire sculpture, 3-d, of their blind contour drawing - not their actual hand. These were mounted on 4" ceramic tiles with hot glue. We did other stuff the rest of the year - they were sick of hands.
I'll be glad to email an attachment with a photo or two of the wire hands.

Jan