Carol - Breanne - Hands! - with a message too

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 11:23:20 PDT

Carol they are growing already.... I just wish my tomatoes were doing as
well.

I do so love doing art with text....Art AS text - sign language....(Lin
Altman's site)
http://www.eanes.k12.tx.us/cce/laltman/5TH.HTM
Breanne you are too much.... I forgot all about the hands that spell out
words - sign language. Many teachers do the students' names....How about
taking some important words?
Peace - love - trust - value - might have to brainstorm on some short words

...anyways....I just checked the lesson you sent...unbeleivable...I just
told Carol to do all of these things in my off list post a little while ago.
I do so love how this list works.
Lesson ideas that talk about hands in reference to violence and peace
http://www.ivow.net/vow/files/lessons/inyourhands.html
 Now she has it in a form that she can run with. Carol some of these lessons
are priceless (smile).

BEAUTIFUL song - Get permssion from administration to use it....you will
know what I mean.
http://www.ivow.net/vow/files/joinhands.html

Carol you'll like this title of poem by Lansgton Hughs "Freedom's Plow "
http://www.ivow.net/vow/files/lessons/dreamlesson.html (grow little seeds).

And an extension to the "hand gun"....on a day when you are too tired to do
a difficult project. Have the kids illustrate a word with the word hand in
it. I forget what that kind of lettering is called....but you know what I
mean. It can be a one day assignment for you to catch yor breath - or a time
filler. I have used Bunki's sureal hands asa time filler, too.

The nylon stocking project might work in a hand shape too - you would have
to nip and tuck the nylons a bit. Collage onto it your dreams/hope for the
world....Collage what you treasure in this world... whatever.

Well... I am moving off hand for now... I do have some other posts to get
out. Breanne, I'll be watching the list, too, for your posts if ou need help
on this one.

Judy

P.S. Smile Patty Knott - if you are reading... I have just been too busy to
repost my NBC messages... I guess they are on their own. I will let them
know that Getty was down when I did get their message out.