negative space fun

---------

From: Catharine Ho (catharineho_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 05:52:39 PDT

to help teach the concept of negative space, I had 2 students stand in front
of an overhead project and get into an interesting pose while looking at the
projection above them. ( be sure to state no rude or violent poses). the
kids creating the shadows had to create a good balance of positive and
negative and make an interesting composition using their arms and heads and
torsos as the positive space. The rest of the kids used charcoal to draw the
negative( white) space. Their sketch book pages were divided in quarters
first then they had to fill one quarter with the student composition. Then
we changes models. They got it and they had alot of fun. give it a try,
Catharine in Hong Kong