Re: Tricky challenge: can anyone make art project work out of this......

---------

From: Becky Thornton (artswim_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 22:57:55 PDT

Dear Brenda,
maybe they could trace and color them onto shrink art and put a magnet on
the back. We have made Dad magnets (some made them for Mother's Day)They
can put them up at home or work.

A project that I did that was cheap and wayyyyyyy good looking, was a
sculpture. I got floral wires,glue, matches, brown paper bags, a touch of
gold paint and a touch of green paint (acrylic) packing styrofoam (from a
furniture store) and moss to cover the styrofoam..but there may be another
way to cover the base.
Well any way, say the student's dDad likes fish, they cut out 3 pair of fish
(so that the finished three fish can stick up on the wire)
They glue( Elmer's) a floral wire (or hanger) between two matching fish.
Let dry. They they coat, liberally, the fish in glue, you burn it (the
glue) with a candle. this gives it a shine and a little burn. Then you
give the student THREE dots of gold acrylic and they smush it on with their
fingers..the same with one drop of green. This makes it look like a real
metal fish, I kid you not!!!!!!(Carol DuVal years ago) Anyway, then you put
them in the base and cover it with moss, or however you want to do this.

You could just do one object and a small round base. I think it would look
nice! These were great! the kids did them ( before I had a digital
camera) WE made them for Valentines Day one year, so we cut cupids and
hearts.....very nice looking. The parents liked it, it looked classy and was
very inexpensive!

Becky

---