contract language

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 17:29:27 PDT

Many years ago (over 20) the 'specials' used to teach more classes then the academic teachers (I am in a high school). Our union fought and won the issue that ALL teachers teach the same UNLESS they VOLUNTEER to teach MORE and are COMPENSATED for that. (as an aside, our 'mantra' during that time was: My diploma and teaching certificates are NOT pink, they are the same color as the academics) Fast forward some 20 years later, and it is still the same with some of the teachers in my department having been 'volunteered' (they were non tenured and first years) BUT they are being paid 1/7th of their salary to teach the extra class as per contract. They are happy to have jobs, and quite frankly would rather teach the extra class than have lunch duty. That said, you have to have the whole union membership behind you in order to make changes in the contract to provide that ALL teachers are TREATED the same (i.e. same amount of prep time, same lunch time and same teaching time).

San D

---