Art-Science-Geography Connections - lesson idea

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 12:51:26 PDT

(Christina, I'm the one who emailed you earlier - Is the detail from one on
the larger works shown on this page? From the bottom one?)

Dear Art Educators,

As ideas come to me that meet the needs of my Survey respondents, I'll pass
them onto you. Christa-Maria shared the work of her daughter - Christina
Hahn - with me today:

Altered Maps.

My youngest daughter is having her one woman gallery exhibit next week,
take a look at her work. http://www.northquest.com/hahn/
Her idea of painting over maps is also a good one to use in a
classroom.Or if one has a large class where kids feel they can't paint
well, collages a la National Geographic are great, too.
She is 7th generation artist in the family

"When Christina Hahn looks at maps, she sees the real lines: the lines that
separate land from water; the lines that were formed not by the hand of man,
but by eons of the earth's own creative and destructive activity."

Old National Geographic maps are pretty easy to come by around here. There
is a store in Bluffton, Ohio (Etcetera Shop) where we can get them. Don't
know if there is a place around where you live. Our local Art Resource
center has a bunch too. Maps can be found in books too and photocopied.
Anyway, I liked her work and would like to see more. If you live in the
grand Rapids Michigan area, I am assuming this is where the exhibit is this
week: Kendall College of Art and Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
http://www.incredibleart.tk

P.S. Plans.... I had lots planned for today....but they keep on changing
(smile, Cathy K.)

P.P.S. If anyone would rather see these ideas just sent to the Survey group
reply off list (Jdecker@woh.rr.com) I know I have been sending out a lot of
mail.This is one way I can cut down on the volume you receive.

P.P.P.S. This is just for Michal Austin if you get all the way down to
here....This looks like a Michal kind of idea...and you are not on the
Survey group (smile).

---