update on Patriotic mural

---------

From: Jeannie Sandoval (jensando_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 10:27:45 PDT

This is an update to my request last week for ideas on
creating a mural with a Patriotic theme. I wanted to
let you all know what we planned on creating with the
student body.

I shared all the ideas sent to me either privately or
posted on the Getty with my SPED
teacher and we chose the quilt idea (love this idea!).

We will use one 9 x 12 sheet of construction paper
divided into squares and draw on the master little
threads so that each square appears to be ‘sewn’. The
easy thing about this is that we only have to pass out
3-4 sheets of construction paper per teacher and have
them pass them around the room and have the individual
squares designed by each student. It become alarming
to think we would make a quilt with 850 squares that
we would have to glue! This is easier and not as many
squares, yet all the students will participate. The
students will be directed to create their square with
the idea in mind of "what freedom means to me" and we
will name the quilt... Let Freedom Ring!
The background squares will be red, white and blue for
the 6th and 7th graders. On the inside (for the
"appliqué") we are making a Liberty Bell using tans,
browns and gray construction paper. The 8th graders
will be the bell and the fringe around the quilt will
be the teacher’s fingers that we trace and cut out. I
used the website here (shared by my FAV Doc:) and it
had many ideas for symbols of freedom.
http://www.pampetty.com/countrymusic.htm

 Many people sent me ideas for this and I took several
of these and created one new project. I would like to
thank Judy N, Judy D, Marty, and Denise. Without
suggestions from all these wonderful friends, I will
still be in a pickle. We have begun construction and
once it is complete, I will send pictures to share
with you.
Thanks again to everyone, I can’t wait to show you our
tribute!
Have a great day!
Jeannie in ga