Holiday "art" gift idea - a good one!

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 08:53:24 PDT

Dear Art Educators (World list - this is as a result of my Incredible Art
Department Survey),

Calligraphy

Survey respondents are looking for "holiday art" ideas. Everytime I get a
"holidy art" idea, I will share it with the lists. These posts tend to
generate more ideas. I know some of you have your year planned - but some
may not. Many of you like calligraphy (I never got the hang of it completely
myself - so didn't teach it much - I just taught the beauty of letters in
different fonts).

Here is a good Christmas or Mother's Day gift idea from Christa-Maria (Art
Education list) -- or anytime of the year gift.

Remember the quotes we collected?
One of my projects in school was to teach calligraphy and I had a floppy
of quotes the kids could peruse, or find their own....Then they used
calligraphy to write them out. Nicely matted, they looked great in the
hallway and parents liked them for a present.

Maybe even tie in Illumination and have them do a decorative first letter? -
Try different marbling techniques for the paper? or maybe a painted or chalk
stencil background? One of our elementary teachers did stunning calligraphy
on handmade paper one year.
Start with good charater traits and find quotes for those. Make sure the
quotes the kids find on their own are "worthy" of their time. Many good
quotes can be found in song lyrics (and some not so good).

Here is the Painters' Keys site - many quotes over their heads - but I am
sure you can find some that will work.
http://www.painterskeys.com/quotations.htm

I have a Quotes file that has Getty recommendations - plus I have been
saving my "Knott Quotes". I'll put them in one huge file and share through
the files for sharing if anyone asks. You just might get to sing again
though...."This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...."

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/