Re: Negative Space Experience

---------

From: Becky Thornton (artswim_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 17:08:14 PDT

Betty Bowen writes:

> I teach middle school.
>
> I do not teach the elements and principles per se, and could not list them at this moment,

I go over them and have the students illustrate them , in one wasy or
another on a portfolio for their work. My sixth graders take a shape, I
used to have them cut them, but I have pre cut them now to save loads of
time, and illustrate one of each of the elements on one side and one of each
of the principles on the other side. This is a contruction paper project.
i'll take digitals to share.
The 7th and eighth graders draw their first name on an index card, and last
name on an index card in perspective, and I duplicate them. then they
illustrate the elements on the first name and principles on the last name.
This was the name is on the folder and the elements and principles are
always with them. Also, the parents know that there is a foundation. I ask
the kids to refer to them when I write good use of pattern, nice unity. It
makes them feel good!
And, they have learned something valuable!
Becky

---