Re: teaching pencil shading-m.s.

---------

From: Becky Thornton (artswim_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 16:26:20 PDT

Hillmer, Jan writes:

> Becky, Let me get this straight - you draw on yourself? Do you use a mirror as you do this? What a memorable way to talk about value/shading and get away from outlining. I love it! My only issue would be that then my kids (el.) would consider it an invitation to outline on themselves.
>
> jan

Dear Jan,
Yes, I draw directly on my face. No, I don't use a mirror! It is too much
fun to watch their faces! Anyway, I have been putting makeup on for
years...I've pretty much got the outlines and contours of my face down.
anyway, if I get out of the line...well that would be ok. Once, I had a
student ask if I would ouline my eyes and the bags under them..I told her
no, thank you! :-) Crayola markers do NOT come off well. The time I tried
them, I looked like I had been abused. The blending of colors in the marker
was something else! I use an overhead marker (two if it gets clogged up
with oils or makeup) Vis-a-Vis works the best for me. I tried Crayola to
make a fatter line!