Re: Negative Space Experience

---------

From: Betty Bowen (albertbandura_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 16:22:18 PDT

Wow, I did that exact thing. I even had another kid do it and I drew the arm first the usual way, then drew the negative spaces, and they liked the second one best. They can draw something then color in the negative spaces, but they freeze up when I ask them to only draw the negative spaces in the first place. Even after demos. I'll try to think up a puzzle or a game.

The Austin's <whest177@wheatstate.com> wrote:
I REALLY simplify this concept to my high school students. I put my hand on my head, forming a "V" with my arm. I discuss how if they just try to draw the arm itself that chances are part of the arm will be too long, angles will be wrong, and they may struggle getting it right. BUT, if they try drawing that triangle in the center then that will fix the problem. Simple, but they understand. :-)
~Michal