Re: Negative Space Experience

---------

From: Betty Bowen (albertbandura_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 16:16:02 PDT

I teach middle school.

I do not teach the elements and principles per se, and could not list them at this moment, because I had never heard of them as such until I started working towards teaching certification. In my four years for an art BA and three years for an MFA, they never came up as a list of things to know.

I do TRY to teach negative space because it is a useful concept in making art and doing graphic design. Being aware of it also increases the appreciation of art that makes good use of it. The students who "get it" tend to be much more confident in their drawing than those who don't. Students finding confidence in making their work is my #1 goal.

Now that I've had a couple hours' rest, I think I'm looking for movable or 3D or game-like ideas to help them see and communicate negative space. Something that will be fun tomorrow. I need the atmosphere to be light tomorrow.

thanks, I still have more of your responses to read. Betty