Negative Space Experience

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 14:46:34 PDT

Well yeah
This is what is wrong with the standards and how we think art should be
taught...
"they " are not going to get it
and even if they get it for a lesson
"it' doesn't carry over"
I will never "get" certain rules of grammar, I will never "get" beyond what
what was drilled to me in basic math, .. and science - well if somebody
can tell me what the point is in memorizing the periodic table well
???

Same is true in art.
We spend our time being frustrated over teaching elements and principles
that sometimes we ourselves don't understand.
And we expect kids to get "it." I didn't get "it" until I was in college.

Let's not get hung up on the "grammar." Let's get hung up on finding ways
that kids express and then
point out how the expression was significant
who cares about negative space?????

care about what they want to express and then coddle them into ways of
expressing it better.

I have spent an enormous amount of time investigating assessment in art. The
majority is product oriented. Art is going into directions that I am not
sure we are addressing.
And I don't find evidence of why the "grammar' of art is not retained.
Just like I resist in other disciplines I don't know why why we expect
kids to get what they resist about what we think is important to teach in
art.
Can we accept that and find another way?

I don't ever want to penalize a kid because the perception is different from
the standard I am being bound to.

Where did art expression come from? Certainly the cave painters didn't
have a teacher telling them about elements and principles and god
forbid if they had.

We have to look at some ways to do this differently.

Patty
P.S. Betty - this is not a criticism of you. We ALL have to look
differently
I hate rules
I trust myself and I try to teach my students to trust even when it's
not my rule
Art history has been a series of progressing through disregarding and I
don't know why we hold onto to something that has outlived it's time and not
progress to the next expression.
What is negative space? a black hole?

---