Re: Middle School vs. High School

---------

From: Grace Hall (Grace_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 21:04:44 PDT

Are you asking if using culture, and history to teach art is wrong for high school? If you are, then NO! There is nothing middle school or wrong with that. Especially if your students aren't getting this in grade levels prior to high school. I've been teaching high school for 14 years and I use history and culture to teach art all the time. I believe my students need to understand the foundations of art, where it's come from and where it's going. They need to connect it to real life, and see how learning about these things can help them in other areas of their academics.

Sounds to me like the other art teacher at your school is very "old school." They think all art is supposed to be about is technique, and art production. They refuse to see the value that museum exposure, art history, and culture can bring to what a student produces in the studio because they've never given it a chance. Probably because it would mean more work! So do the math Joe, sounds to me YOU are working for the kids, not the pay check. Keep your chin up and hold your ground. The kids will appreciate it in the end.
Good luck, Grace