Re: Plaster and wedging table Deb M

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 18:52:36 PDT

OK- while the clay is dissolving should it get to the point where it is watery? In other words, how much do I let it "dissolve"?

Joe Cox <bjcoxteachart@msn.com> wrote:Jayna,
I just fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of bone dried clay such as old project that got too dry or scraps of clay that dried out, even large blocks of clay. They have to be bone dry and I never break them up (creates too much dust). Then fill the bucket with water until the clay pieces are covered and let the clay dissolves in the water. Don't stir the clay or try and mix it up, just let it set. It takes a couple of days for the clay to dissolve, I then pour off the excess water and let the clay dry out some. Usually when the edge of the clay separates from the side of the bucket or the top begins to crack. After a week or so of letting the clay dry out I will scoop out the clay onto plaster bats and let the plaster pull out enough moisture from the clay until it is dry enough to wedge. Last I wedge the clay until it is plastic enough to work with.

I usually have students do this in small quantities at the beginning of the year, so that they know how to do it.

Hope this helps.
Joe