Re: grades and grading

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 14:24:38 PDT

LeAnn,

Not being a mathematical genius, I've never weighted my assignments by
percentages. I go strictly by a point system, then use GradeBook to
figure out the grade percentage for me. In general, daily progress is
worth 25 points, practice assignments (like a value scale) anything from
50-100 points depending on complexity, homework and short research
usually 100 points, and major assignments 200 points. The 200 was
divided into Concept (did they "get" what was being taught) and
Rendering (proficiency in use of medium/technique). So I guess by
assigning different amounts of points that is a type of weighting.

The 200 point thing seems a little intense now that I'm teaching grades
5-8, but the above is what I used for HS.

Maggie

LeAnn Escoffre wrote:

> I have spent my morning and most of the afternoon (so far) searching the
> archives for grades and grading. It was a topic I remember discussing
> back in May or maybe it was June. Anyway I still haven't resolved what I
> am going to do. I was wondering if someone could share with me their
> specific examples of how they break down grading projects.

---