Re: Knott Just Another Quote - Aloha and Mahalo

---------

From: Ralph and Gretchen (schultz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 13:01:47 PDT

I was inspired to get out my "Instant Hawaiian" phrase book, per Judy's
request. It's not often that I feel I can contribute to the list (I'm a
third-year teacher), but I used to live in Hawaii, so here are some
prases I think teachers can use (all of the vowels are pronounced, BTW):

Pehea 'oe - How are you? (the "e" is pronounced like a long "a")
Aloha au ia 'oe - I love you
Noho 'oe - Stay/sit
E ua ana paha - Perhaps it will rain
'O wai kou inoa? - What is your name?
Kala mai ia'u - Excuse me
Mele Kalikimaka - Merry Christmas (always fun to say!)
He mea iki - Just a trifle/you're welcome
Mai hilahila! - Don't be bashful!
Hele mai - Come here
Hele - Go ahead
Pau - Finished
"Ua mau ke ea o ka 'aina i ka pono (State Motto) The life of the land is
perpetuated in righteousness

Judy, your name in Hawaian is Luki - pronounced ee-OO-kee.

Have fun!
Gretchen in SW Missouri

---