Mahalo! photography -Gordon Parks

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 12:03:43 PDT

(World you get this too - Gordon Parks is an American who deserves
everyone's respect and admiration)

Thanks Cathy (Getty list member) for your words of wisdom... I have sent
Suzie my links but wanted to make sure she has Gordon Parks.
One of my Photographer Heroes (and thanks, Cathy, for posting the PowerPoint
"ethics" to the list - you have even more "ethics" than me).

"Parks is an American Renaissance man who has mastered many media to express
an uplifting and influential message of hope in the face of adversity."

"My experience -- though I would never wish it upon anyone else -- has
helped make me whatever I am and still hope to be. I have come to understand
that hunger, hatred and love are the same wherever you find them, and it is
that understanding that now helps me escape the past that once imprisoned
me."
A Choice of Weapons by Gordon Parks, 1964

Gordon Parks biography:
http://www.galegroup.com/free_resources/bhm/bio/parks_g.htm

Artcyclopedia:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/parks_gordon.html
(Hmmm wheels are turning - Photojournalism? - tie in Dan Eldon - and his
very visual journals -I did give you his link)

Gordon Parks Photo Competition (I didn't read the rules - so check on those)
http://www.ftscott.cc.ks.us/wp/special_gpphotography.asp

PDN and Kodak Presents Legends Online:
http://www.pdnonline.com/legends/parks/intro_set.shtml
Oooo - Sit back and enjoy this! It does take you to the above site - but
"hearing" him is a treat.
http://www.pdnonline.com/legends/parks/

A good read... See what inspired Parks to get his first camera.
http://www.norton.org/exhibit/archive/autumn/autumn.htm

Gordon Parks: Photographs of Ella Watson:
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsahtml/fachap07.html
(LOTS more good stuff in this Documenting America -explore yourself)

Online NewsHour: Gordon Parks:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/entertainment/jan-june98/gordon_1-6.html

I am sure there is more good stuff out there- post what you find to share
with all.

What prompted my new "passion" for Gordon Parks? He is one of the
contributors to my new book - African Americans Voices of Triumph Creative
Fire - A Tradition of African Art, Filmmaking, Music, Literature and Visual
Arts. The Senior Editor is Dr.Henry Louis Gates. He has "talked" to my
students in videos - I wanted him in my living room (actually family room is
where I'll probably keep the book - right now he's in my office with you
folks)...so I bought the book. Here is the killer. I got this book for $1.99
at Walden Books! Unbelievable. It is Comprehensive Arts all for only $1.99 -
$2.13 with tax. If any of you have a Waldon Books close by - see if it is in
your store. I have half a notion to buy one for all of my art teacher
friends (ha-ha). It has comprehensive African Arts -and Comprehensive
African American art - and many of my favorites! Including folk artists I
adore.

I actually started writing/looking for resources to share last night - but
Cathy gave me a reason to share - Mahalo! So all lists get it.

Judy

P.S. I'll share more about my $1.99 book in the future - but run right out
and get your own.