teacher dress code; jeans and jackets

---------

From: Alix Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 10:47:23 PDT

Hi All,
Another 2 cents worth on teacher dress code. I wear jeans, but I make sure
that they are black or dark blue and appear pretty new. I never wear any
faded jeans. I buy these at Target, Mervyns or Wal-Mart and make sure they
have some stretch in them.

I would like to suggest that one can make almost any pair of pants look
professional if one wears a jacket of some sort! This gives "up body
presence" to the outfit. I don't wear tailored jackets; rather I look for
things that have a slight rolled up sleeve, don't have to be buttoned in the
front in any way and have some sort of 'give' to the fabric.

In my wilder hippy art teacher days, I wore a lot of imported hand-dyed
batiked kimono style jackets. Now that I am older and want to be taken more
seriously, I wear elegant, rich looking fabric large shirts over blouses, as
jackets. These are also good for hiding hips!

The kids are wearing all sorts of really cool jean jackets these days. I
found a great black one in a very stretchy jean fabric at Chico's. When I
wear this with black jeans and a white blouse and an interesting necklace, I
look very nicely put together and professional.

I collect, make and wear a lot of ethnic-inspired jewelry and it really
gives a punch to the more professional looking clothing I'm trying to wear.
So, I don't feel like a complete sell-out to the bland semi-administrator
look. :-)

Chico's has some wonderful, but pricey, clothes! They specialize in very
nice stretchy clothing that is flattering. They size everything; 0, 1, 2, 3
and the sizes are very consistent. Best of all, the colors all go together,
even from year to year. You can even buy their things on-line.

BTW, the best thing I found to wear to appear professional and disarm people
in conferences is PEARLS! Besides the nicely demure strings of pearls, I
have my grandmother's fake pearl choker from the fifties that is absurdly
oversized and really wonderful to wear.

Alix E. Peshette
Technology Coordinator
Emerson Junior High School
Davis, CA

 Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He
caught every other fish.
    -- Steven Wright