Re: help with teacher dress code: shoes

---------

From: Michele Berlin (stardust64_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 08:31:44 PDT

My two cents....
Some days I dress up and some days I don't. It all depends on what's on
the agenda for the day. If we are making a mess, I wear outfits that I
don't get too upset about staining. If it is a relatively clean day, I
will wear my skirts and blouses, especially if I have a meeting on the
agenda with one of my administrators.
I used to not wear jeans also, but I have broken that rule more and
more. But these days jeans are getting prettier with stitching and
colors, so I still feel professional enough, and the kids think it is
cool. There are alot of nice options in the Sears catalog right now.
Also, as an extra precaution, I wear my smock, which is really a dog
grooming jacket. I used to show my dogs and groom them myself, I liked
the jacket so much I bought a second one for the classroom. It's pretty
resistant to alot of things and it dries quickly if I get it wet.
The point is to wear what you are comfortable in, because if you are not
comfortable in your classroom, it will affect your performace as a
teacher.
Michele

Catherine Kerch wrote:

> This was my first week of school teaching art and I wore what I always
> wore before I was given the art position. I showed up in my Ann
> Taylor skirt, blouse and heels. One of the middle school teachers
> pulled me aside and asked if I was crazy. "You're going to get paint
> all over your outfit," she said.

---