dress code

---------

Gldpawz_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 04:19:39 PDT

In a message dated 08/24/03 12:10:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ckerch@hotmail.com writes:

> Right now, I'm not comfortable wearing jeans and
> t-shirts to school... it just doesn't look right when everyone else is
> dressed professionally.

IMO, I think you should dress in whatever way makes you the most comfortable.
 When I got my art position (elementary) 10 years ago I immediately went out
and bought "teacher clothes." Lots of straight skirts and blouses. I
reported to work on the first day (teachers only..no kids) all dressed up and about
half of the teachers in the entire town were wearing jeans or shorts!!!! (the
entire school system meets for a meeting in the morning. k-12) I felt so out
of place. I returned my clothes and got some jeans and casual pants. BUT~ I
think sometimes students give more respect to teachers when they are dressed
"professionally" rather than when they are wearing jeans and a T-shirt. I have
ruined a few pairs of jeans, pants, etc, but I use a big smock that
hairdressers use to cover up my clothes.
I say...wear your professional clothes but cover up with a smock when you do
messy projects.
HTH!
Carolyn in MA

---