Re: teaching pencil shading-m.s.

---------

From: Becky Thornton (artswim_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 00:55:10 PDT

Aust ArtClasses writes:

> What I hate getting is the shading technique with the extremely
> dark coloring book outline. I have to work and work and work on
> reinforcing form by value, not outline.
>
> Jackie Brewer (Aust)
Dear Jackie and everyone,
This will sound bizarre, but it works. I tell, ask, and plead with them not
to outline. When my sixth graders are doing portraits, they will or course,
outline! And then they will ask me how it looks...and they expect me to say
wonderful, nice start...etc.
Well, I ask them all to pay attention, then I get out a Vis-a Vis (overhead
marker) and outline the edges of my face, my nose, the bump on my nose that
they like to draw, smile lines and dimples ( I don't do around my eyes)
Then I ask them if this looks good. I also ask them how many of them got up
early this morning to outline teir faces. You can imagine! Well, they do
get the point, and I really
don't have outlining after that. I have done this for a long time with the
sixth graders. One time I forgot to wash it off and went to lunch! The
teachers were shocked! The older students asked if I was teaching the sixth
graders not to outline!
Of course, some parents must think I am nuts, but the students get the
point!
Becky
the outline queen

---